Thursday, October 16, 2014

National Batik Day

 

On the 2nd of October; Indonesia celebrates Batik Day.
An annual celebration where almost the entire 249,9 million population wears Batik.

Whether it's a scarf or a loafer, the people's excitement and patriotism are really contagious. Even those who lives in other countries are celebrating it by proudly wearing batik.

Batik is a technique of manual wax-resist dyeing applied to whole cloth, or cloth made using this technique. It is made either by drawing dots and lines of the resist with a spouted tool called a 'canting', or by printing the resist with a copper stamp called a 'cap'.

Its beautiful pattern and traditional feel made Batik one of Indonesia's most popular heritage.
Not only that, each province and race in Indonesia also have their own Batik - and there are many kinds.

To celebrate the day, this year, instead of hanging out with my friends wearing Batik showing off our patriotism, I joined Yayasan Batik Indonesia as one of their model for the Batik fashion show in front of the first lady.

Yayasan Batik Indonesia is a nonprofit corporation that is a manifestation of the will of the equation lovers, artisans, entrepreneurs and observers of batik and imbued with the spirit of the Youth Pledge is also a partner of the Government work in developing, preserving and fostering entrepreneurs / national batik craftsmen.
 
I was excited to the point that I feel like learning how to walk properly in a catwalk is very important - since I have no experience as a catwalk model what so ever. And I guess, after watching fashion show I get a lil more confident in the way I walk. That and one thick novel above my head, just to keep my posture right. Head up, chin up, chest up, look straight, something like that.

Just like Oscar De La Renta says:



"Walk like you have three men walking behind you"



I'm no Gisele but I guess I get what they were expecting me to do. 
As long as I don't fall and walk like a lady, I think I'm good.

So I did walk and did not fall. I even had a little fashion moment with the designers backstage; with IKAT Indonesia creative director, Didiet Maulana and Barli Asmara from BA Couture, along with Parang Kencana's own creative director, Ibu Mariana. 


Didiet Maulana

Barli Asmara

But the cherry on top of my Batik Day sundae, another fashion moment happened on stage...
When I was striking a pose on stage, the first lady, YES, Ibu Ani Yudhoyono (whose instagram is filled with high quality pictures of her activities) took a picture of me. ME. I'm not bragging, because of course she might also take other model's pictures but I can feel a bit flattered, right?  

Anyway, it happened so fast, I wanna go back on stage again. The rush and excitement was really fun. It felt really nice; being apart of a fashion moment for many designers whilst showing Indonesian pride. 

Why a fashion moment for the designers, you ask? Because the designers that were presenting their work were honored by the first lady for, I think, have successfully make Indonesian Batik more well known by people around the world. From international stylists using their batik design to hollywood actors and actresses buying their products. How amazing is that? 

Congratulations designers, your work of art make Indonesia proud :)


When I did an interview with Marketeers radio click here to listen I talked about what my vision and mision towards Indonesia's fashion industry; I want to bring Indonesia to the world and the world to Indonesia. 


 
I, was wearing Batik Sogan from Java by Parang Kencana, I'm honored to be trusted presenting this collection in front of the VIP guests including the first lady, Ibu Ani Yudhoyono and Ibu Budiono, the wife of the vice president. Thank you, Parang Kencana.








 

Photos by Virdi Kementerian Perindustrian RI
Jakarta, Indonesia October 2nd 2014

Make Up Artist, Mustika Ratu



  
Parang Kenaca gals xo


Wish you had a great Batik Day, my fellow Indonesians & have a great day!


Stay Stylish,


1 comment: